Applied Psychology: From Theory to Practice
Prepare: To begin, review the case study from the clinical psychology perspective. Pay special attention to the topic and the area from which you will draw your research on the topic as noted in the title of the case study.
Case Study #1: Clinical Psychology: Major Depressive Disorder
Joe is suffering from severe depression. His father, grandmother, and two uncles suffered with the same condition. One of Joe’s uncles who met the criteria for Major Depressive Disorder committed suicide at the age of 57. Joe’s depression started after he was laid off from work, and became disabling when his wife divorced him, receiving full custody of the kids and their home.
Reflect: Next, research the chosen topic using scholarly resources, and craft a thesis statement regarding your selected topic. Your final paper must contain at least six peer-reviewed journal articles, published within the past 10 years, which are cited according to APA style. Examples of peer reviewed journals include, but are not limited to, the Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, Journal of Clinical Psychology, Behavioral Interventions, The Behavior Analyst Today, Journal of Speech-Language Pathology & Applied Behavior Analysis,and Journal of Behavioral Education. Popular sources (Wikipedia, Newsweek, New York Times, Psychology Today, About.com, PsychCentral.com, etc.) are not considered peer-reviewed sources.
Write: In a well-developed eight- to ten-page paper address the following:
· The paper must begin with a well-written introduction that includes a succinct thesis statement.
· Your introductory paragraph must include a description of the basic characteristics of science and a definition of applied behavioral science and the area of psychology from which the case study is explored.
· Identify and describe the potential source(s) and/or cause(s) of the issue that is/are relevant to the selected case study (e.g., genetic, environmental, social, cultural, organizational).
· Examine the case study by applying one psychological theory of your choice pertinent to applied behavioral science (e.g. Behavioral, Cognitive, Humanistic).
· Describe scientific research that is relevant to your selected case study. Include past and current findings and note any key changes.
· Identify and describe any relevant trends in working with your intended population.
· Detail a suggested plan of action for implementing physical stress intervention or cognitive stress intervention, including advantages and disadvantages, for moving forward.
· Specify what you would do to build rapport with the clients in the selected case study (e.g. Intake Interview, Client-Centered Therapy, Accurate Empathy, Unconditional Positive Regard)
· State ethical considerations that are relevant to this case.
· You must end your paper with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis and include an examination of the pros and cons (advantages and disadvantages) of utilizing at least one applied behavioral science intervention method to address the concerns in the scenario you selected.
· Must be eight to ten double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style.
· Must include a separate title page with the following:
o Title of paper
o Student’s name
o Course name and number
o Instructor’s name
o Date submitted
· Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
· Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
· Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis and summarizes supporting evidence.
· Must use at least six peer-reviewed journal articles as sources.
· Must document all sources in APA style.
· Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style.
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.