Discussion: Special Topics in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Many children face special issues that impact everyday life, whether it is within themselves, their families, or their environment. Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) must be sensitive to these many issues that children and adolescents are faced with during important developmental years.
In this Discussion, you select a special population and analyze the psychological issues that the population faces. You also address the assessment and treatment needs of the population.
To Prepare for the Discussion:
· Review the Learning Resources.
· Select one of the following topics for the Discussion:
o Foster care
o Gender dysphoria
o Forensic issues
o Impact of terrorism on children
· Write your selected disorder in the subject line of your Discussion post.
· Explain the psychological issues that may result from your topic.
· Describe the most effective assessment measure that could be used, and explain
why you selected this.
· Explain the treatment options available for children and adolescents involved
with your selected disorder.
· Explain how culture may influence treatment.
Sadock, B. J., Sadock, V. A., & Ruiz, P. (2014). Kaplan & Sadock’s synopsis of psychiatry: Behavioral sciences/clinical psychiatry (11th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer.
American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
Thapar, A., Pine, D. S., Leckman, J. F., Scott, S., Snowling, M. J., & Taylor, E. A. (2015). Rutter’s child and adolescent psychiatry (6th ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley Blackwell.