– The goal of the writing is to compare to poems. Please choose one of the following pairs:
Two poems by Maya Angelou
Two poems by Charles Bukowski
– Compare (don’t contrast) the works of the poems. Focus on TWO specific elements such as theme, tone, language, and speaker. Do not focus on the personal lives of the poets/poets themselves.
– Aim for about 550 words total. Use the number of paragraphs you feel you need (I’d suggest a brief intro, 2-4 body paragraphs, and a brief conclusion).
– Include a 1-2 sentence thesis in your intro.
– I suggest listing the poems you will cover in a sentence after your thesis.
– Your analysis should be based on close reading of the poems.
– Make use of the transitional/terms of comparison.
– Do not use outside sources for this assignment. I want your ideas. All writing/work must be original (other than quotes from the poems).
– Use quotation marks for titles of poems and “/” marks to show new line of poetry.
– BE SURE AND CITE ALL LINES OF POETRY USING MLA FORMAT/LINE NUMBERS.