Get college assignment help at uniessay writers Can you help me on this assignment? The Mayfair Department Store in Davenport, Iowa is trying to determine the amount of sales lost while it was shut down during July and August because of damage caused by the Mississippi River flood. Sales data for January through June follow. Sales ($1000s) January 185.72 February 167.84 March 205.11 April 210.36 May 255.57 June 261.19 a. Use exponential smoothing, with a = .4, to develop a forecast for July and August. (Hint: Use the forecast for July as the actual sales in July in developing the August forecast.) Comment on the use of exponential smoothing for forecasts more than one period into the future. b. Use trend projection to forecast sales for July and August. c. Mayfair’s insurance company proposed a settlement based on lost sales of $240,000 in July and August. Is this amount fair? If not, what amount would you recommend as a counteroffer?
Histograms for grouped data The following are distances (in miles) traveled to the workplace by employees of a certain university. Draw the histogram for these data using an initial class boundary of and a class width of . Note that you can add or remove classes from the figure. Label each class with its endpoints.
The number of lightening strikes on a square kilometer of open ground in a year has mean 6 and standard deviation 2.4. The National Lightening Detection Network uses automatic sensors to watch for lightening in a sample of 10 square kilometers. What are the mean and standard deviation of x, the mean number of strikes per square kilometer?
Compute a 90% confidence interval of the mean for a Weschler intellegence test with mean of 100.00 and standard deviation of 15.00 for a sample of 100 people. Use two decimal places.
“Roll two dice. X is the value of the first one and Y is the value of the second one. Then corr(X, X Y) > 0 True or False”
Four men, A, B, C, and D, each tell the truth independently with probability 1/3. D makes a statement which C reports to B, and then B reports to C’s statement to A. If A asserts that B denies that C claims D is a liar, what is the probability that D spoke the truth?
The probability of being dealt a royal flush (ace, king, queen, jack and ten in the same suit) in poker is about 1.3 × 10−8. Suppose that an avid poker player sees 100 hands a week, 52 weeks a year, for 20 years. What is the probability that she sees a royal straight flush dealt at least once?
7. The number of chocolate chips in an 18-oz bag of generic cookies is approximately normally distributed with a mean of 1124 and a standard deviation of 113 chips. a) What is the probability that a randomly selected bag has between 1000 and 1200 chips? b) What is the probability that a randomly selected bag has fewer than 1000 chips? c) If a bag has more chips than 70% of the other bags, how many chips must it have?
According to the book Are you Normal?,40% of all US adults try to pad their auto insurance claims to cover their deductible. Your office has just received 128 in insurance claims to be processed in the next few days. What is the probability that half or more of the claims have been padded? Round your answer to the nearest thousandths place
The distribution of the heights of students in a large class is roughly bell-shaped. Moreover, the average height is 68 inches, and approximately 95% of the heights are between 62 and 74 inches. Thus, the standard deviation of the height distribution is approximately equal to
Get college assignment help at uniessay writers The ________ is a term for the number of standard deviations that a particular random variable value, X is away from the mean.
Given the population standard deviation equals 70, and the standard error of the mean (the standard deviation of the sample mean) equals 14, what is the sample size that needs to be taken?
The average hourly wage of plant workers at a canning company is $6.50/hr with a standard deviation of $0.45. Assume that the distribution is normally distributed. If a worker at the canning company is selected at random, what is the probability that the worker earns more than $6.75?
a random sample of four thousand people are selected. their IQ scores are measured and averaged to give the samplea mean. find the probability that this sample mean is larger than 101.
A machine used to fill cereal boxes dispenses, on the average, (m=mu) ounces per box. The manufacturer wants the actual ounces dispensed Y to be within 1 ounce of (m=mu) at least 75% of the time. What is the largest value of (sigma), the standard deviation of Y, that can be tolerated if the manufacturer’s objectives are to be met?
9.76 A certain brand of flat white interior latex paint claims one-coat coverage of 400 square feet per gallon. The standard deviation is known to be 20. A sample of 16 gallons is tested. (a) At α = .05 in a left-sided test, find the β risk and power assuming that the true mean is really 380 square feet per gallon. (b) Construct a left-sided power curve, using increments of 5 square feet (400, 395, 390, 385, 380).
“Health insurance policy is designed in such a way that a healthy person has a negative expected value, and an ailing one has a positive expected value.”
One kind of plant has only blue flowers and white flowers. According to a genetic model, the offspring of a certain cross have a 75% chance to be blue-flowering and a 25% chance of being white-flowering. Two-hundred seeds of such a cross are raised, and 142 (or 71%) turn out to be blue-flowering. Are the data consistent with the model? Explain briefly.
Suppose a new treatment for a certain disease is given to a sample of 220 patients. The treatment was successful for 191 of the patients. Assume that these patients are representative of the population of individuals who have this disease. Calculate a 98% confidence interval for the proportion successfully treated. (Round the answers to three decimal places.)
Using the information provided in part (d) would you be surprised if a sample of 50 differences collected in this way resulted in a higher mean number of unpopped kernels for the store brand than for the name brand? Explain. You can explain in words or use your figure from part (e) to illustrate the situation. (0.5 pts)
a. A study in which researchers measure or observe characteristics of the sample members
The post Can you help me on this assignment? The Mayfair Department Store appeared first on uniessay writers.