Instructions for the first paper (Syrian cinema)
By the end of September, you are required to notify the instructor about the Arab country that you selected for the first paper.
For this paper you will be writing (5 double-spaced pages) describing the cinema or film making in one of the Arab countries. Specifically, you have to address the following:
1. History (important events in the history of the country that impacted its cinema)
2. The different stages that the cinema in the selected country underwent (such as colonialism, European influences, internal politics, etc.)
3. Famous directors, actresses, and actors
4. Is there anything unique about the cinema in that country?
5. Major films that reflect the evolution of that cinema
6. Main themes and genres that figure in these films. Explain why.
By writing this paper, you are also demonstrating that you can produce an academic paper that takes into consideration the following (see the rubric):
b. Content and focus
c. Organization (introduction, content, and conclusion)
d. Use of evidence (sources): You CANNOT rely only on online sources. So AT LEAST two should be taken from a book or a journal)
e. Accuracy of facts
Plagiarism (academic theft): There is NO tolerance for any forms of plagiarism. You must always show the reader where you took any information that is not yours.